“It isn’t the great big pleasures that count the most; it’s making a great deal out of the little ones – I’ve discovered the true secret of happiness, Daddy, and that is to live in the now.”
Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
Try this little pleasure:
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
+- 85g Spanish chorizo, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder/flakes (If you like hot food, chop up some fresh chilli)
2 cups chicken stock or veg stock or home made
2 cups black beans (soaked over night) rinsed, drained
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice + teaspoon of zest
dollop of reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraiche
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
Brown rice (choose portion by amount of people)
Soak 2 cups of black beans in a bowl over night. They will swell and you will be able to see if there are any that need throwing out. In the morning rinse and drain.
On cooking day:
- You soaked the beans the night before so they are swollen and ready to boil for some time (If you have a pressure cooker, it needs about an hour in A LOT of water. If boiling in a large pot, this may take a couple of hours until beans are soft and cracking open – again, lots of water) … pour a glass of wine, get a good book or your latest blog post in front of you and just check now and then to make sure you haven’t run out of water.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1-teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chorizo; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chorizo from pan (do not wipe pan).
- Add remaining 1-teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in oregano, garlic, cumin and chilli. Cook briefly.
- In the mean time cook up some healthy brown rice.
- Stir in stock and add beans and chorizo. Bring to boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes so that flavours mix together.
- Add lime juice and zest (I’m quite liberal with this, but that’s personal)
- Dish up rice into bowls, ladle bean soup; top off each serving with a dollop of sour cream/crème fraiche and 1 tablespoon coriander.
*feeds 4 … periodically, I vary what I add, more peppers or sweet corn can be lovely J